Hello! I'm Kelsey, a UX & visual designer who strives to make the world a better place.
Empathy-building and big picture systems-thinking are the cornerstones of my design process. I want to work as part of a diverse, collaborative team to create meaningful experiences for mission driven organizations.
Wireframes & UI Design
- Pen & paper
- Adobe XD
Research & Evaluation
- Contextual inquiry
- Ethnographic research
- Usability labs
- Optimal Workshop
Prime Digital Academy | UX Designer - Student
Bloomington, Minnesota, from December 2016 to Present
- Attended an 18-week program focused on the methods and practices UX design.
- Completed 7 case studies over the first 12 weeks spanning a variety of disciplines.
- Worked with the Minneapolis Downtown Improvement District to design an interactive system to increase visibility of public events in downtown Minneapolis.
- Collaborated with the Dakota Criminal Justice Network to research and design a web app to streamline the St. Paul Police Department's overtime scheduling process.
YWCA St. Paul | Graphic Designer
St. Paul, Minnesota, from July 2012 to January 2017
- Redesigned the public-facing YWCA St. Paul website, doubling web traffic through usability improvements and making content management more accessible to staff.
- Designed print and digital collateral to recruit program participants, increase visibility of the organization in the community, and support fundraising efforts. These materials included: posters, brochures, annual reports, newsletters, environmental signage, print and digital ads, direct mail pieces, landing pages, Constant Contact emails, and multichannel campaigns.
- Refreshed and modernized the implementation of the YWCA St. Paul brand, while making sure national brand guidelines were followed by all staff.
- Shot and edited photos of events, programs, and participants, created custom logos/illustrations, and managed library of owned and licensed artwork.
Modern Folk | Visual Designer - Freelance
Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, from January 2011 to July 2012
- Collaborated with clients to bring their ideas to life. These included company founders, project managers, cultural & arts organizations, illustrators, and printers.
- Designed print materials including logos, postcards, posters, event programs, booklets, calendars, and product packaging.
- Worked with individuals on photography and illustration projects.
Target | Sales Floor Team Member
Roseville, Minnesota, from June 2010 to June 2012
- Maintained inventory on and pushed new inventory to the sales floor, while assisting customers and fellow team members.
- Cross-trained and filled in team member shifts in all departments on the sales floor, as well as cashier and softlines flow.
- Working with Team Leads, followed planograms to create retail displays in softlines and hardlines and utilized creative discretion to adjust or change displays as needed according to inventory levels.
Mighty Media | Graphic Designer - Intern
Minneapolis, Minnesota, from January to May 2011
- Designed a cohesive set of covers for a series of five educational children's books about cultural arts & crafts.
- Assisted senior designers with production of engaging layouts for various educational and do-it-yourself children's book series.
- Researched and edited stock photography, assisted with in-studio photo shoots, and placed final photography choices in book layouts.
University of Minnesota | Student Library Assistant
St. Paul, Minnesota, from September 2008 to May 2011
- Assisted library staff by operating library databases, assisting patrons, and updating a blog of newly acquired books on the subject of plant pathology.
- Designed and created illustrations for library and departmental newsletters, exhibits, and temporary signage.
- Increased digital access to library materials by scanning and creating text-optimized PDFs of print publications from library collections.
Dakota Jazz Club | Graphic Designer - Intern
Minneapolis, Minnesota, from September to December 2010
- Followed brand guidelines to design marketing materials for both the Dakota's restaurant and jazz club. These materials included magazine ads, digital ads, and monthly event calendars.
- Designed a cohesive suite of materials that provided information about private event hosting at the venue.
- Updated seasonal menus and designed a new late-night menu format.
Prime Digital Academy | User Experience Design Certification
Bloomington, Minnesota, April 2017
University of Minnesota | Graphic Design BFA, summa cum laude
Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 2011
UXPA Minnesota | Member, December 2016 to Present
AIGA Minnesota | Member, September 2007 to Present
Young Nonprofit Professionals Network | Member, July 2012 to Present
Minnesota Council of Nonprofits | Member, July 2012 to Present
Design for Good, AIGA Minnesota | Volunteer, November 2013 to present
Toastmasters, The Nerdery | Participant, January 2017 to Present
Prepare + Prosper | Volunteer, October 2015 to April 2016
Comunidades Latinas Unidas en Servicio | Volunteer, May to August 2015
Hack the Gap | Attendee, May 2015
TYPO Talks, San Francisco | Volunteer & Attendee, April 2014
Design Camp, AIGA Minnesota | Attendee, October 2011 and October 2013